RE: [squid-users] diskd, reiserfs

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:26:06 +0200

> I plan to get a 40GB drive ot enlarge my proxy.
> What would you advice me to use ufs, diskd or
> reiserfs?

If you only have one CPU on the system, AND (maybe it's OR)
you're using a VERY recent reiserfs, use reiserfs.
As far as storage, diskd should be fine.

Make sure you have PLENTY of RAM. Half a gig for that
storage is needed just for knowing what you have on
disk. Make sure you have at least another half gig for
in-core cache.

> I am using patched 2.2.STABLE5.

No 2.4?

> Is there a patch to allow that version to use diskd if
> that is what i need.
> And is there a patch to allow that version to use
> LFUDA?

Upgrade ;)

> And the last question, for this 40GB drive should i
> set it to the default Level-1 Level-2: 16 256 or the
> values must be differenet.

If you're using reiserfs, those values are fine.
If you're using ext2, increase that to 128 256 or
even 256 256. ext2 is slow in searching directories,
you don't want to have many files in the cachedirs.

--
	/kinkie