Re: [squid-users] Hide Firewall: from the Enter Network Password Window

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:24:21 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Shehrus W wrote:

> Using Squid 2.4.Stable1. Yes, we have set it in a way
> that users would have to be authenticated.
>
> Hence a window would appear for the users to enter
> their username and password. The message would be :
>
> "Please type your user name and password."
>
> Firewall : 10.10.1.1
> Realm : Squid proxy-caching web server
> User Name:
> Password:
>
> However I just don't the message to show Firewall :
> 10.10.1.1
>
> What do I do to hide this firewall information ?

You'll probably find it's the browser doing that. The squid will just send
back an HTTP error code requesting proxy authentication. Part of the
message sent back is the "realm" requiring authentication. The browser
then presents this information to the user. I'd leave it in so the users
can distinguish between being asked to authenticate to the proxy or to a
web site requiring authentication.

Colin