Re: [squid-users] high level udp port

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 23:41:34 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> > I don't think it's DNS. This is a listening port. You don't need a
> > listening port to do DNS queries (unless I'm badly mistaken).
>
> Your badly mistake. For UDP queries you need one writing port and one
> reading port. I haven't checked the source here, but I suspect Colin is
> correct.

He is not so badly mistaken. Many DNS clients today use "connected" UDP
sockets. A "connected" UDP socket only accepts traffic from a specific
ip:port to your specific ip:port, and can only send traffic there.

On my virtual todo buried somewhere deep down in my brain is to extend
Squid to use this mechanism rather than the current "check each packet"
version. Would also fix the "dns server 0.0.0.0" configuration issue..
Doing so basically involves opening one UDP port for each configured DNS
server, and then connect() this to the server in question.,

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker