[squid-users] Transparent Proxy - Ethernet in promiscuous mode?

From: Anjali Kulkarni <anjali@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 00:10:56 +0100

Hi,
I want to set up a transparent proxy on my m/c, on FreeBSD 4.0. I have read all the related documents and have one doubt, before I start. Do we need to set the ethernet in promiscuous mode to make sure that it intercepts all packets that arrive at it's interface? IPFilter rules in freeBSD will work in the IP layer ie check for IP address; however, unless the ethernet card is in promiscuous mode, or it uses ARP to intercept packets not addressed to it's own IP address (by supplying its own MAC address during ARP), I dont see how it will work?
Thanks,
Anjali