[squid-users] help with proxy server..might be a transparent issue

From: Matt Ashfield <mda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 11:59:59 -0300

Hi all,

running squid 2.3 stable 4 on aix 4.3.3

I am trying to set up a private network and use my squid box as a proxy for that private network, transparently...(doh!)

The basic setup is:

privatePC(192.168.24.2)
with a gateway of 192.168.24.1

Squid box (192.168.24.1 interface)
Squid box (x.x.x.x interface)

Rest of our network.

Now from what I've read, transparent proxying is NOT an option on AIX? But is there a workaround here?

If we hardcode the privatePC to use the squid box as a proxy, it all works fine. But shouldn't it also work without hardcoding it, because by default the packet is going to get to the squid box because that is the gateway for the private network? Or do I have to route the packets so that they end at the squid box? If that's the case, should I simply set a static route on my squid box so that the private interface is routed to the other interface?

Any suggestions are welcomed

Cheers

Matt
mda@unb.ca