Re: [squid-users] Deleting an item in cache

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:20:34 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Damien McIntosh wrote:

> Edward,
>
> To delete a URL from your cache do the following:
>
> client -m PURGE http://www.some.server.com/
>
> If it is in the cache you should receive a 200 code back. If not in
> the cache then a 404 is returned.
>
> Note that the URL has to be exact.
>
> I don't think that you can delete a whole domain though in one hit!
> The list can correct me on that one....

You are correct. The reason you can't do "wildcard" deletes is squid never
keeps an index of the URLs. To find the cache file for a URL, squid hashes
the URL and looks it up in swap.state. Theory is that two URLs will never
hash to the same value. I think the hash is done so that a fixed length
key is provided thus speeding up lookups in swap.state.

I am guessing a bit on this and I'm sure I'll be corrected where
necessary.

Colin