Re: [squid-users] About Squid compilation gcc option

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 01:07:02 +0200

Most GCC versions have problems at -O2 already so I have my doubts.. and
-O3 is not guaranteed to give you faster code than -O2 (see your GCC
manual).

These GCC compilers are known to break Squid at -O2, but work fine if
optimization is disabled:

  2.7.2.3
  2.95.1
  2.95.2
  2.95.3

The performance gains from optimizing Squid with -O options are
marginal. The performance issues are at other levels than the compiler
can address.

Regardless, you should keep the -g flag, or else you won't be able to
diagnose any serious faults detected. -g does not impact performance
other than a a few milliseconds longer startup time.