RE: [squid-users] squid as a proxy

From: Peter Kassies <p.kassies@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:39:48 +0200

Kelly,

You have most of what you need:

- configure the explorer part in windows pc systems to point to the
proxyserver for http/https and ftp

- install linux, close all unused ports in /etc/inetd.conf and all the other
security actions. These actions depend on your system, search for security
faq's on your OS. There should be plenty documents.

- install squid on your linux machine

- optional (install user authentication with squid, I use the NSCA
authentication scheme. With some tools you can analyse the logs and pick out
the top talkers, people abusing your network by downloading massive amounts
of mp3's etc)

- point the /etc/resolv.conf on your proxy to a dns on the internet

- point the default gateway from the proxy to the ipadres of the router on
your network.

As for more security, a firewall helps to prevent your system being attacked
on open ports.
But if all ports are closed, there is'nt much to attack, so you might not
need a firewall.

The network could be setup as follows:

        internet

        router

        proxy server

        LAN with endusers

This requires the proxy server to have two interface cards.

For future growth of your system might require the following network layout:

        internet

        router
                | (dmz)
        firewall ------------------proxyserver