Re: [squid-users] ftp_passive

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:51:02 +0200

Adam Lang wrote:

> Hmmm... either way sounds like a security problem. To do it passive, I
> would have to basically open all ports for outgoing, wouldn't I?

With a good firewall passive or active does not matter. There you
firewall on the protocol FTP.

With a dumb packet filter you can only set up passive FTP securely.
Doing dumb packet filtering of active FTP in a secure manner is not
technically possible. If you thing it is, then you only think yourself
into a false feeling of security, and your firewall is most likely
almost wide open.

Note: the above assumes it is the clients who are firewalled, not
servers.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker