[squid-users] Preventing disk access while idle

From: Chris Wolfe <cwolfe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 21:37:39 -0400

I am using Squid as a transparent proxy on a number of firewalls
installed in schools. As the firewalls are built on recycled
hardware with IDE drives it is reassuring to be able to spool the
drive down during the night.

Is there any way to get Squid to stop scanning the cache short of
shutting it down? The sweep only seems to mentioned in associated
with LRU, do the other cache algorithms perform a similar
operation? (Or am I completely off base about the cause of the
disk access?)

At the moment I am pondering using a hook in the firewall to kill
Squid during idle periods and restart it when a request arrives,
but would prefer a quicker solution.

Thanks,
Chris