Re: [squid-users] cannot use squid -z when squid is running

From: <Miklos.Magyari@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:45:56 +0200

> > As I understand, using squid -z shouldn't depend on a running squid
> > process.
>
> I think, that is not true, simply because of the management of
> the cache dirs when being online.
> "squid -z" should be considered a basic initalization issue, before
> using squid.

I've read the following on the squid faq:

<faq>
The procedure is similar to recreate the directory.

   1. Edit squid.conf and add a new cache_dir line.
   2. Initialize the new directory by running

% squid -z

      NOTE: it is safe to run this even if Squid is already running.
squid -z will harmlessly try to create all of the subdirectories that
already exist.
   3. Reconfigure Squid

squid -k reconfigure

      Unlike deleting, you can add new cache directories while Squid is
already running.
</faq>

but it doesn't work for me.

Miki