Re: [squid-users] cannot use squid -z when squid is running

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:53:38 +0200

Miklos.Magyari@eth.ericsson.se wrote:

> I've added two new disks to my server and want to create cache
> directories on them.
> I've put the new cache_dir entries in squid.conf and tried to use squid
> -z to create the new cache directories. The result is the following:
>
> 2001/06/14 15:21:54| Squid is already running! Process ID 3944
>
> As I understand, using squid -z shouldn't depend on a running squid
> process.

This was true up to Squid-2.2..

For Squid-2.4 and later there may be other store types added, so squid
-z MAY not be safe to run while Squid is using the cache.

If you know it is safe (i.e. only use the ufs/aufs/diskd stores) then
you can work around the check by specifying an alternate configuration
file with another path for the pid dile.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker