[squid-users] Questions on squid configs

From: gonzalez lionel <quemado35@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:10:55 +0200 (CEST)

We are working on a big squid configuration and we
have some questions to ask to squid gurus.
Our starting date config is based on two SunFire 280r
(2xUSparcIII 750MhZ CPU) with each 2GB RAM and 2x36GB
FiberChannel disks.
Both machines only run squid.
Question :
1- We reserved 2x20 GB for caching directories on each
boxes. Is it better to set
        - only one cache on a stripped filesystem on two
disks
        - or two directory cache, each on one disk ???

2- AS Squid only use one process for serving incoming
requests, is it better
        - to run two Squid on two different IP adresses on
both box (one per CPU)
        - or to run only one Squid leaving the second
processor for extra tasks (dnscache for instance) ?

3- Cache size : What should be our limit with such a
config (512 MB, 1GB, 10GB...) ??

4- Memory pool limit : default is 50MB, what is
acceptable (512 MB, 1GB...) ?

5- What is the correlation rule in between Memory pool
and Cache Size ?

6- With only two cache, I suppose both should be
defined as "Cache_peer xxx sibling" with "no_delay"
option. We do not have any "parent", is this a problem
?