[squid-users] cache_dir configuration

From: <Torsten.Lange@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:02:51 +0100

hi,

i am struggling to find the optimal directory hierarchy for my new squid
boxes.

this is the configuration so far

pentium-3 866
1gb ram
2x18gb ultra-scsi 160 disks
2 separate partitions, /cache1 and /cache2 shall be used for cache_dirs

i found something about squid configuration on a german webpage
(www.dfn.de).
now i just want to verify if any of you does agree with the recommendations
made there.

++++++++++++++

1. cache_mem

dfn say: "use max. 1/8 of the total amount of ram available"

this would mean 128mb for my particular boxes, which sounds quite
reasonable.

++++++++++++++

2. cache_dir

now this is going to be a math job:

dfn recommends the following for building the optimal cache_dir parameters:
(i have put in the values for my machines)

cache_dir size in mb:
-----

dfn equation:
95% * GB_available * 1024 = cache_dir_MBvalue

with my values:
0.95 * 10 * 1024 = 9728

subsequently, i shall have 'cache_dir /cache1 9728 xx xxx'

cache_dir directory parameters L1 and L2:

----
dfn equation:
L1=ceil(15564/416)
with my values:
L1=ceil(9728/416) = 24
dfn says it is okay to modify the L1 parameter while leaving the L2 value
untouched.
so - following all these recommendations - i shall put in these lines into
my squid.conf:
cache_mem 128 MB
cache_dir /cache1 9728 24 256
cache_dir /cache2 9728 24 256