[squid-users] Squid configuration and response times

From: <dbaldoni@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:36:40 +0800

G'day folks,

Very recently (a few minutes ago, actually), I posted a query about how
to improve a poor squid setup and the steps I'd taken so far. Now, I
have a question about some guidelines I've read in the FAQ.

Apparently, a general rule of thumb is to use the (Page Faults with
physical I/O) / (Number of incoming HTTP requests received) ratio; both
as reported by Cache Manager as a guide for how well your proxy is
running - with a result under 0.1 being desirable (BTW, those "badly
behaved" proxies were running with ratios of between 12 and 14!). One
of the proxies has been as high as 0.25 (but DROPPED to its current
level of just over 0.2 with no apparent degradation in performance (at
least, nobody is complaining).

Any thoughts on what I should be looking at to provide the system owners
with an accurate performance measure?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Daniel Baldoni
LcdS Pty. Ltd.