Re: [squid-users] Problem with using wpad for autoconfiguration.

From: Adam Lang <aalang@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:54:54 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
To: "Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com>; "Squid-Users"
<squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Problem with using wpad for autoconfiguration.

> Uhmm, I thought that the file IE gets from wpad was a .pac configuration
> file. Java is not the issue - the JVM is what manages connections from the
> PC, and that is able to use the system proxy configuration.

Correct, but the thing is, Java applets really don't run inside of IE. They
run in a JVM which interacts with the OS itself. I'm guessing that IE only
interprets the pac file for its own use.

> In that case, proxy's shouldn't work for anything that doesn't know where
in
> the registry to look, and JAVA shouldn't work with manual configuration
> either..

But that's the thing, I don't think it looks in the registry. I'm
assumption is that if it is configured manually, it affects how the Windows
Sockets work. So, if the JVM uses Windows Sockets for its TCP connections,
it very well may be able to check for configured proxy information. Whereas
since wpad doesn't store anything local (it actually checks the file on each
page lookup), and because it would be hard to store a pac file as a straight
config like in a manual setup, other applications couldn't use it, unless
they were specifically programemd to check for the wpad file on their own,
which would also explain why MS makes so much mention of "autoconfigure
technology". To get developers to implement it in their programs.

> I would definately class this as a bug.

I'll mention it, but I'm guessing the above reasons are why. If I hear
anything back, I'll follow up with it.