Re: [squid-users] Problem with using wpad for autoconfiguration.

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 07:58:37 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com>
To: "Squid-Users" <squid-users@squid-cache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 12:56 AM
Subject: Re: [squid-users] Problem with using wpad for autoconfiguration.

> Well, if you think about it, it really isn't a bug. Basically the way the
> autoconfigure works is it (IE) looks for the wpad server, pulls down the
> config file and parses it. How would java know how to parse the file
unless
> it was programemd in?

Uhmm, I thought that the file IE gets from wpad was a .pac configuration
file. Java is not the issue - the JVM is what manages connections from the
PC, and that is able to use the system proxy configuration.

> Whereas if you type in the actual proxy information, that is set for the
OS
> and applications can use it appropriately (it is probably transparent
> through the window sockets or something... the OS probably habndles the
> proxy routing).

> wpad is only good for IE or programs that know to look for it and parse
it,
> so it seems.

In that case, proxy's shouldn't work for anything that doesn't know where in
the registry to look, and JAVA shouldn't work with manual configuration
either..

I would definately class this as a bug.

Rob