[squid-users] Logging user names

From: Peter Wood <woodp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:09:04 +1000

Hi all,

We're a school site with running Windows 98 clients attached to a NT 4 server.
To access the internet our users log into a machine managed by an internet
provider outside the school (Running SINA administration software). Our local
router is connected to this machine via a dedicated radio link. To achieve lower
download costs and better site blocking we have installed a local proxy cache
(Red Hat 7 & Squid 2.4) and it is running beautifully (We are new to Linux).
While our users pass their username and passwords out of the school our logs
only record the IP address of the machine they are using. Is it possible
to log the usernames locally so we can determine who is doing what? I suppose I
need to 'snoop' on their usernames as they pass out to the upstream cache.
We're going to upgrade our NT box to Windows 2000 soon also. Will this make
things easier or harder to mesh with Linux?

Any help or suggestions welcome.

regards,

Peter