Re: [squid-users] FreeBSD Vs Linux

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:27:07 +0200

Brad Evans wrote:

> I'm hoping someone can help me here, but i'm interested in benchmarks or
> statistics showing the difference between Squid running on FreeBSD4,
> compared to a common linux distro. I know theres no hard fast answer to
> "which is better" but i'd be interested to see comparisons.

Then make some. All you need to run such tests (except the hardware) is
downloadable from the net.

  * Squid
  * Linux
  * FreeBSD
  * polygraph

One big problem in comparing Linux and FreeBSD is that usually a person
is good at either of the OS:es but not both. To make a fair
comparisation one must know how to properly tune both Linux and FreeBSD
for Squid.

The second problem is that measuring the performance in an objecttive
manner takes quite a bit of time and effort.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker