Re: [squid-users] Newbie Questions?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:28:20 +0200

jamie wrote:

> 1) I want to cache large files like quicktime movies and OS updates. Do I
> need to adjust the Average object size?

No, but you may have to adjust the max_object_size.

> 2) I know that squid knocks things out of the cache when the disk gets full
> and you can set like a time to live for objects. But how does squid know
> when a webpage has been updated? Or would squid display the page in the
> cache until it expires in the TTL of the cache even though their is a new
> one online?

Squid uses two methods:

a) If the web server tells for how long the page will be valid then
Squid uses this as a fact.

b) If not told, then Squid applies the settings of refresh_pattern.

If a request for a object which is no longer considered fresh by the
above rules, squid querie the origin server to see if the object has
changed.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker