Re: [squid-users] M$ mms video streaming

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 18:46:30 +0200

luciano l. mannucci wrote:

> > the real-video streaming is come-through if the client is configured
> > to use http-only proxy connection. If is your client is capable of that
> > may it could work.
> Ok, that's for real network stuff. Does anyone know whether this is
> possible for Microsoft streaming too?

As far as I know the MS mediaplayer does not support any form of
proxying, neither streaming over HTTP (as in case of RealPlayer proxying
over a Squid proxy) or application level proxying (as in case of
RealPlayer with a "real" proxy configured).

The reason why it works with MS Proxy is most likely because then you
have a proxy client installed on the client machine, intercepting any
network calls, and knowing about Microsofts own product they can easily
have this client do any needed modifications to the data stream to work
via MS proxy (which is not a HTTP proxy in this mode, more of a SOCKS
proxy).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker