[squid-users] Squid killed by Kernel

From: Marc Elsen <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:32:02 +0200 (METDST)

 Well , here's another interesting one.
 My Linux kernel (Redhat 6.2) seems
 dislike "maintaining" squid :-) :-)

 This happened yesterday night :

Jul 4 07:49:25 dmz1 kernel: VM: killing process squid
Jul 4 07:49:25 dmz1 squid[762]: Squid Parent: child process 28204 exited due to
signal 9
Jul 4 07:49:28 dmz1 squid[762]: Squid Parent: child process 22281 started

 Well, I have plenty of swap, but for the moment I am not so
 much concerned with the cause of this problem.

 The thing is that I had a discussion with Duane in the past
 considering Squid crash recovery.
 I had a problem with squid crashing on standard "squid -k shutdown",however
 in that case the parent would nog recognize the special condition
 and restart Squid anyway.

 This would make it sometimes difficult to >really< stop squid.

 Duane developed a patch for this so that the parent would exit
 too on SIGKILL.

 This discussion assumes however that a "kill -9" would be human
 operator issued, so to speak.

 Now if the kernel can do that too, the validity of killing the
 parent comes under discussion !

 I made humble plea in the past to the squid developers , to
 support for instance a new directive in the conf file as in :

 squid_sigrecv_action restart.

 Well restart would be a default, and the other value would
 be "stop" for instance.

 These would be directives for the parent so to speak.
 I think it could be usefull , especially for people maintaining
 cache hierarchies, or testing development configurations of SQUID.

 To keep track of what is going on

 Of course this setup could be elaborated as in :

 squid_sigsegv_action ...
 squid_sigkill_action ...
 squid_siganyother_action ...

 Marc.