[squid-users] Spawning external processes with Squid on FreeBSD

From: Randy Smith <compunut@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:39:42 -0700

I've looked at documentation, howto's and news groups. I've tried
everything that is recommended. Unfortunately, I still have not been able
to solve this problem...

I'm having a problem running Squid on FreeBSD. I've tried Squid 2.2.x and
Squid 2.3.x both by downloading tarballs from the Squid site and by using
the ports packages. While even more problems occurred in one instance( not
worried about that), every thing I've tried has caused a problem spawning
external processes for Squid. My major concern is the following error message:

   WARNING: Cannot run '/usr/local/squid/bin/smb_auth' process.

I've followed the directions in
<http://www.hacom.nl/~richard/software/smb_auth.html>.

I've gone through the troubleshooting and I can run the program manually
just fine. I tried creating a user besides nobody and giving it ownership
to the executable. When I manually run the executable, it works great!
Squid just simply refuses to spawn external processes.

Is there any advice you can give me on this problem? I'm on the verge of
giving up and telling a customer that they can't do authentication security
with Squid, but I hate to do that.

Thank you for your time and efforts!

Sincerely,
Randy Smith