RE: [squid-users] ICP link load-balancing... without ICP?

From: BAARDA, Don <don.baarda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:51:13 +0930

G'day squid-users,

I've had 2 enquires about this so far. Unfortunately, the quick hack we have
working currently is a mixture of various licensed bits and pieces, so I
don't think we can release it. I'm thinking of putting together something
new that I can fully open source, but I don't know if I'll find the time.

In the mean time, here's what we did.

We set up a "ICPmap" proxy on a local box using specific TCP and UDP ports.
We then pointed Squid at this proxy instead of the ICP-blocked upstream
parent. The ICPmap proxy simply port-forwards the TCP port to the upstream
proxy's http port. For UDP, the ICPmap proxy sends out an ICMP ping for
every incoming ICP message, and sends an ICP_MISS back when the ICMP ping
returns.

Anyone else interested in making an Open Source "ICPmap proxy"?