[squid-users] redirect_children vs. thread count?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:55:54 -0500

What is the appropriate balance of redirectors used with Squid's threads?

With Squid v2.3S4 I used 6 redirector children and it seemed to work well.
When I updated to Squid 2.4S1 (+ posted patches) I upped that count to 8
redirectors, now in use with the 16 threads handling the aufs async I/O.

Today I noticed these warnings in my log file:

 WARNING: All redirector processes are busy.
 WARNING: 8 pending requests queued
 Consider increasing the number of redirector processes in your config file.
 aio_queue_request: WARNING - Queue congestion

So... what is the appropriate balance of redirector children to aufs
threads? Do I need a redirector for each thread (16 by default) created by
Squid v2.4? I've got Squid running on RedHat v7.1, BTW.

Thank you.