Re: [squid-users] advice on how to use the CVS for squid

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:46:38 +0930 (CST)

According to Van Bossche Koen:

>I want to get squid-cvs on my machine, though I'm stuck and do not know how
>to go on further.

Do you just want to check out the latest cvs version to compile or are
you wanting to do your own development? If you are just wanting to
look at the latest code then use the anonymous cvs (as you have done)
and do not use cvs locally at all. If you are wanting to do your own
hacking then perhaps a simple way would be to do an anonymous
checkout, strip out all the CVS directories and import the sources
into your own local CVS. If you want to get an updated version from
the anonymous CVS server, then check that out into another area, again
strip the CVS directories and then import the new version onto the
_vendor_ branch (remember one of the funky labels that cvs uses when
you import? one is the vendor branch label), then cvs update your
work tree which should do a merge of the updated vendor branch with
your local modifications.... watch for conflicts here.

>Then I did :
>cvs tag HEAD
>This gives the following result :
>? configure
>? include/autoconf.h.in
>cvs [server aborted]: "cvstag" requires write access to the repository

Yep - you are not allowed to write to the sourceforge CVS repository
so you cannot tag the tree. Not unreasonable. If you are going in
for baselining then you either need to be a squid developer or just
set up your own local repository as I said above.

>If I look into the directory auth_modules/NT. I only have a directory CVS.

Did you check out over the top of a already checked out tree? Perhaps
the NT auth_module is not on the trunk but on a branch... cannot say.