[squid-users] Squid As Firewall Proxy? Filtering ActiveX/Java?

From: Jim Seymour <jseymour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 12:50:20 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

I've a problem that maybe Squid can solve for me?

Background

   I have a Gauntlet 4.2 firewall. There are a couple of web sites
   that are either erratic or don't work at all when accessed through
   the http-gw proxy on the firewall. These sites work properly when
   accessed directly and when accessed through an Apache-based proxy.

   I *have* to fix this problem.

It has been suggested elsewhere that maybe I could replace the
http-gw proxy with Squid. Before I go any further, I have some
questions.

Is Squid robust enough to be placed in service on a firewall? By
"robust," I mean in reference to it being regarded as relatively
exploit-free? More succinctly: is it "safe?"

I need the ability to filter out ActiveX. And possibly Java
applets. I've spent a couple hours this morning reading the FAQ,
configuration documentation and mailing list archives and have yet to
be able to determine whether I can even do that with Squid. Much
less *how* to do it.

Comments?

Thanks In Advance,
Jim

--
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
jseymour@jimsun.LinxNet.com  | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html