Re: [squid-users] Cache storage size/Cache memory

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 10:30:07 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Mark Tinka wrote:

> hi all...
>
> i am setting up a new squid server.. and would like to know how i can
> setup my squid.conf file to use the whole 36GB of hard drive space for
> the cached object size... the default in the config file i can see...
> are:
>
> cache_dir /var/squid/cache 100 16 256
>
> if i wanna use the entire 36GB for caching.. how would these other
> level-1 and level-2 values change..?..

You do not want to use the entire 36Gb for cache. You must leave some
space. Id' go for about 90% of that as the total space. This is probably
described in the faq but

The cache_dir line above configures 100MBytes of cache in 16 level 1 (L1)
cache dirs and 256 level 2 (L2) cache dirs.

For every L1 cache dir there are L2 cache dirs.
For every L2 cache dir there are L2 cache objects (files)

Thus is it is possible to have L1 x L2 x L2 objects in a full cache. If
you take the average object size (default = 13kB) you can work out either
how many objects you can put in acache of a given size or how big to make
the cache for a given number of objects.

Be aware that the default of 13KB is possibly a little large. In my cache
it's about 9kB. I think the rule of thumb is to choose L1 and L2 so that

cache_size = L1 x L2 x L2 x 13 kBytes.

You might want to make it a little larger than that just in case the
object size goes > 13kB.

Colin