[squid-users] Slow to connect

From: Duncan <duncan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 14:51:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hi.

For some reason, when using the Squid proxy, the 'Contacting Site' part of
the lookup that squid performs takes too much of a long time (often about
10 seconds or more). I am running my own DNS (Bind 8, named) and have made
squid point to my own box for DNS.

Is there a way I can ensure that squid isn't trying to contact another
cache remotely, or any other ideas why this takes so long?
Without the proxy, this process is fast, then the site download begins
almost immediately.

I am on a 56k dialup, kernel 2.4.7, Squid 2.4.1-Stable1

Thanks in advance for your help

Duncan