Re: [squid-users] Slow to connect

From: Perica Veljanovski <ezhe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 21:30:37 +0200

> For some reason, when using the Squid proxy, the 'Contacting Site' part of
> the lookup that squid performs takes too much of a long time (often about
> 10 seconds or more). I am running my own DNS (Bind 8, named) and have made
> squid point to my own box for DNS.

 I would say the problem is in the slow connection in combination with
 BIND. Does the same hapen when you try to access a DNS cashed site?

> Is there a way I can ensure that squid isn't trying to contact another
> cache remotely, or any other ideas why this takes so long?

 Whell, if you are asking if squid tryes to pear to another cash, by
 default it doese not. But check for the "icp_access denay all" line in
 squid.sonf - it should be there.

> Without the proxy, this process is fast, then the site download begins
> almost immediately.

 And keep in mind the acl's. More acl's more you wait. And ofcourse the
 actuoal hardware :). (try the "top" command to see how much CPU squid
 uses).

> I am on a 56k dialup, kernel 2.4.7, Squid 2.4.1-Stable1
>
> Thanks in advance for your help
>
> Duncan

 np

--