Re: [squid-users] Profiler for squid

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:50:03 -0600

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001, mani wrote:
> Hi Adiran,
> Even though I know the bottleneck are in disk I/O and Net I/O :-).
> But I want to prioritize it using some profiler.(disk or net)
>
> Adrian, one specific question here,
>
> why you have gone for select() and poll() in Net I/O.What is the
> advantage and disadvantageof it ? Why did not you use async I/O ?

select() is supported in older BSD-based unices.
poll() is much more efficient, but we're not using it efficiently
right now.

There are a few more efficient ways of implementing network IO,
but unfortunately the squid codebase can't take advantage of it
just yet.

When you say async-IO, Are you referring to disk or network IO?

Hey, remember - I didn't write the original squid code, I'm just
one of the guys working on it now. :-)

Adrian