[squid-users] WCCP on a CISCO 3640

From: Edgar R Gutierrez <egutierrez@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:27:12 +0800

Hi there,

We are running WCCP for two years now. We were able to load the ip_wccp
module and configure our 3640 for WCCP with no problems. We started having
problems after the Code Red virus was launched. I am sure this was
coincidental for this virus only affects IIS. But since then, we
experienced extreme slowness whenever WCCP is enabled.

We recently upgraded SQUID to 2.4.STABLE1. But we still experience the same
thing. We activated another linux box running the ip_wccp module but it
still has the same problem.

Basically, the following are observed:
1. When WCCP is enabled, packets are redirected to the Cache Server and we
are able to confirm this thru the access.log of Squid. We see HITS and
MISSES.
2. However, pages are not displayed immediately and more often than not ,
it times out. Even if we manually configure our browsers to use the proxy
server, we still are unable to get the pages.
3. When WCCP is disabled, the proxy server works well

The kernel that we are using is 2.2.12-20.

What can be causing this? Our router is a CISCO 3600 series with 128MB. I
am sure that this is not a load problem.

Egie