Re: [squid-users] Cache help

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:29:05 +0200

>Hello all...

>I have installed a squid with default configuration on RH 6.2 linux machine.
>It seems to be making cache of all accessed pages in /var/spool/squid
>But on every revisit to the same page /var/log/squid/access.log shows a
>TCP_MISS.
>Why isn't cache working? and help?

  The cache is most probably working perfect,meaning that if
the server does not include expiry info for a webpage, then the
cache must refetch it each time the page is loaded.
You can check for server side expiry info on webpage(s), if you
goto your browser and view -> page info, and look at all the attributes.
Well I am speaking about Communicator here.

It leads to a question of mine. Does SQUID look at expiration info IN a
webpage,
or is that only a matter for browsers ?
What do standards say on this, does a webcache have to open a page
and look for expiration info or not ?
Or does a webcache only has to deal with "server side" expiration info
?

Marc.

--
 'Love is truth without any future.