Re: [squid-users] getting partial content (206) all the time

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 11 Aug 2001 18:38:52 +1000

On 11 Aug 2001 01:02:40 -0700, Ori Zimmels wrote:
> I am proxying the perl LWP::Parallel::RobotUA through squid.
> but some how I get the "PARTIAL CONTENT" (206) reply all the time.

Presumably your http client is making range requests. I suppose there's
a possible feature in squid if asked for a range request that is == to
the entire file, that it will return 206, not 200, but 206 is valid
according to RFC2616.

Rob

> when I don't use squid - everything is ok.

Everything is ok with 206 for http operation. Maybe your client isn't
rfc2616 conformant?

> any ideas?

Yeah, my feature guess above. Slap tcpdump on the traffic and see if you
can spot anythin.

> I tried to play with some of the max_size parameter although their default
> is actually supposed to give no boundary on the reply size.

206 does not imply a boundary on the reply size. It implies a REQUEST
for bounded data.

> I could probably use any idea on how to debug this problem better.
> where in the log can I look to see why I am getting the 206 back.

Uhmm, loook in the debug-sections.txt file, and up client side a bit,
until you can see the request being asked of squid. Or just use tcpdump
:]

Rob