Re: [squid-users] Can squid cache dynamic pages?

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 02:23:35 -0400

Surely this is FAQ fodder by now.

Squid will only cache objects with an Expire and/or a Last-Modified
header. The developers chose correctness over effectiveness and, unless
the web site explicitly specifies otherwise, it assumes a dynamic page is
a one-shot deal.

The more you think about it, the better that idea seems. With cookies,
referrers, user agents, accept information, and a fistful of other 'under
the table' headers flying through, the same url can produce different
content for any number of reasons. How does squid know who should get
which version? It can't*, and any attempt to assume otherwise will cause
a huge mess.

        -- Brian

* I know someone's thinking "it can look at Vary headers" but when is the
last time you saw a CGI cough up Vary headers? Yeah, same here.