Re: [squid-users] Can squid cache dynamic pages?

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 05:06:23 -0400

On Monday 13 August 2001 04:30 am, Robert Collins wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2001 02:23:35 -0400, Brian wrote:
> > Surely this is FAQ fodder by now.
> >
> > Squid will only cache objects with an Expire and/or a Last-Modified
> > header. The developers chose correctness over effectiveness and,
> > unless the web site explicitly specifies otherwise, it assumes a
> > dynamic page is a one-shot deal.
> >
> > The more you think about it, the better that idea seems. With
> > cookies, referrers, user agents, accept information, and a fistful of
> > other 'under the table' headers flying through, the same url can
> > produce different content for any number of reasons. How does squid
> > know who should get which version? It can't*, and any attempt to
> > assume otherwise will cause a huge mess.
> >
> > -- Brian
> >
> > * I know someone's thinking "it can look at Vary headers" but when is
> > the last time you saw a CGI cough up Vary headers? Yeah, same here.
>
> *cough* squid 2.5 new feature *cough* - thank Henrik :}
>
> Rob

Good feature, but would it change anything here?
I am under the impression that the current procedure would still apply if
no vary, no expires, and no lastmod headers are provided. The ball would
still be in the site developer's court to provide cache-control
information, and we all know how well that usually works.

        -- Brian