Re: [squid-users] Can squid cache dynamic pages?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 13 Aug 2001 19:17:17 +1000

On 13 Aug 2001 05:06:23 -0400, Brian wrote:
> On Monday 13 August 2001 04:30 am, Robert Collins wrote:
> > On 13 Aug 2001 02:23:35 -0400, Brian wrote:
> > > * I know someone's thinking "it can look at Vary headers" but when is
> > > the last time you saw a CGI cough up Vary headers? Yeah, same here.
> >
> > *cough* squid 2.5 new feature *cough* - thank Henrik :}
> >
> > Rob
>
> Good feature, but would it change anything here?
> I am under the impression that the current procedure would still apply if
> no vary, no expires, and no lastmod headers are provided. The ball would
> still be in the site developer's court to provide cache-control
> information, and we all know how well that usually works.
>
> -- Brian

Sure. I was only pointing out that now squid can cache Varied objects,
there is good leverage to apply to web developers to get them to develop
rfc2616 compliant applications. Until now they could shrug and say "The
most common web cache won't cache it anyway - so why bother?". Now that
comment cannot be made, hopefully some pressure can be brought to bear.

Rob