Re: [squid-users] Can squid cache dynamic pages?

From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 04:18:37 +0100

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 07:17:17PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

> Sure. I was only pointing out that now squid can cache Varied objects,
> there is good leverage to apply to web developers to get them to develop
> rfc2616 compliant applications. Until now they could shrug and say "The
> most common web cache won't cache it anyway - so why bother?". Now that
> comment cannot be made, hopefully some pressure can be brought to bear.

I added Vary headers to PHP-4.0.5+ when using transparent output
compression (Vary: Accept-Encoding).

A brief discussion with the mod_gzip guys didn't get anything
going (I added a patch to add Vary to my port on
OpenBSD, but they haven't imported it afaik)

The new development stream of the Horde/IMP software uses Vary
for user-agent now, as well as the PEAR code.

Basically, we're getting there - just need to break out of the
chicken-and-egg loop :) Pimp Vary headers where you can!

Anil