Re: [squid-users] installation requirment ?

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 22:25:34 -0400

On Sunday 19 August 2001 09:51 pm, subscriptions wrote:
> I have P 440 MHz processor and 128 MB of RAM. I want to install squid
> cache on this machine. Is it sufficient for 40 users network. Can any
> one tell me the minimum or sufficient requirment of machine for this
> setup.

CPU should be fine. If you actually intend to use 40GB of cache, though,
you will need more memory just to keep track of what you're storing.
There's a FAQ section on it but, at an average of 13k per object, you
would need 220MB just to index the disk cache. Consider using less disk
space, storing larger objects (may not be an option), or adding more RAM.
Especially the latter -- squid never says no to more memory, and it's dirt
cheap.

> Next problem is that I have one 40 GB HDD and two 20 GB HDD. rpm's of
> all are same. can performance gain be increased by using two 20 GB
> HDD's. If yes then how the directory structure should be. should I make
> a whole single partition or one for each.

Two disks are better than one, since you can have two seeks going at once.
 If they're IDE, place them on separate channels (not master and slave) or
you kill any benefit you would get from two drives. Assuming threads are
stable on your OS (you didn't mention it), use async, otherwise diskd.

Define a separate cache_dir for each disk. Squid is designed to handle
multiple disks well, so there's no need to combine the disks with RAID or
anything.

        -- Brian