Re: [squid-users] Is squid the best proxy?

From: Florin Andrei <florin@dont-contact.us>
Date: 20 Aug 2001 12:02:45 -0700

On 15 Aug 2001 18:13:31 +0800, yepenga@legend.com.cn wrote:
> Hi,
> I find squid is widely used in the internet. But is it the best one? Who
> can compare with squid and netscape proxy,or many other proxies? Besides
> free, what else features make it outstanding?

There's no such thing as "best software".

I had Netscape proxy on my network, it choked and died during peak hours
because it wasn't able to serve all our people. It peaked around 20
request / second and HTTP traffic was horribly slow.
I got rid of it and replaced it with Squid. While i still have some
problems, the traffic is MUCH faster, i've seen 100 request / second
served without any problems. The hardware is the same.

But your results may differ.

--
Florin Andrei