Re: [squid-users] Squid to cache a DB?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 Aug 2001 09:54:36 +1000

On 20 Aug 2001 17:26:24 -0400, Brian wrote:
> On Friday 17 August 2001 09:43 pm, Robert Collins wrote:
> > mod_gzip is neat. I've alpha-quality transfer-encoding running with
> > squid, as content encoding alteration is not recommended for proxies. In
> > acceleration mode however, it's much more allowable - someday I'll get
> > onto that :].
>
> Out of curiousity, how stable is the current TE code?
> As in how dumb would I have to be to run it on a public httpd accel?

Very dumb :].

> mod_gzip is nice, but the dynamic content compression is still a little
> flaky when mixed with php (for us, anyway), and it hangs apache children
> now and then. Plus it hasn't been updated since March.

The problem is that squids internals look something like
network->upstream->cache_dir->clientside->network

which means that important control information gets lost (when the data hits the cache_dir).

In particular range requests can confuse squid very badly.

Should be ok for playing with. I've basically let it bitrot while the infrastructure to support it cleanly is created.

Rob