Re: [squid-users] Two Questions

From: Mike Kiernan <mkiernan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:38:20 +0200

Kareem Mahgoub wrote:

> Hello List,I have two question, which i searched for in the FAQ and in
> the Mailing-list Archive and didn't find an answer for.If the answer
> exists, kindly provide me with the link and i would really appreciate
> it. Now for the questions:1- How could I make squid accept URLs in
> UTF-8 formate and prevent refusing it.2- For the Delay-pools, is it
> possible to find which IP is using certain delay pools entry which is
> found in cache manager?Any help would be very much appreciated.Best
> Regards,Kareem Mahgoub

I can try number 2):

The answer is...not really.
If you're using a class 3 pool, it will log the network number and you
can probably reverse engineer from the buckets activity and a snoop
which ip is doing what, but there's no explicit logging you can turn on.

With a class2 pool the bucket number is probably significant to the
host number, but I haven't checked it. If your squid is for cacheing
for an internal network you stand more chance than if it's an
accelerator on the internet (for which delaypools design kind of breaks
down).

I use the attached script to monitor what the current bucket levels
are and which one's are in use. It's enough to give me a rough idea
of what's happening, how busy each pool is etc., but I'm not overly
happy with the default delaypools cachemgr data as it stands, nor with
the way it holds onto buckets even when they're no longer required.
- the script probably won't run unedited on your box (as a minimum
you'll have to fill in the password). I feed the output into an rrdtool
script.

hope it helps,

Mike Kiernan

--