Re: [squid-users] Is it possible to limit the download size during office hours ?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 08:51:55 +1000

On 23 Aug 2001 08:33:54 +1000, Heine Kurt wrote:
> Dear Everyone,
> I have a simple question that I do not know the answer to. What I
> was wondering is it possible to limit the download size via the cache to say
> 10MB during 9am to 5pm Monday - Friday (or just 9am - 5pm if the days of the
> week cannot be set). If so is someone willing to let me in on the secret to
> do this.

You can limit the size using the reply_body_max_size config option. I
*think* that that is in 2.3. You cannot vary that by user/time/ip in any
production-ready version of squid.

> If this is not possible, (and also as well), is there a way to set download
> limits to IP addresses so that anyone using say 10.0.0.1-100 would have a
> download limit of 10MB any 10.0.0.101-150 have a download limit of 5MB, etc
> etc. If this is possible could someone please let me know.
>
> I am running SQUID version 2.3 STABLE 4 but am willing to upgrade to 2.4 or
> even to 2.5 if this feature is a part of that version. Thanks for any help
> you can give me.

2.5 has a more comprehensive version of this feature, but 2.5 is not production ready.

I really advise *against* using squid 2.5 in production until it it's pre-release status as opposed to development status.

Rob