Re: [squid-users] Compression

From: Mike Kiernan <mkiernan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:19:27 +0200

Robert - thanks for the thorough explanation - the issues are much
clearer now.

> For more detail, and probably a better explanation, please see RFC 2616 :}.

Your explanation was a lot more entertaining ;).

> Overall, this looks really nice.
> -- Brian

I agree.

> Does that about cover your questions? Any particular area I could
> enlarge on for you?

I'm wondering whether I could 'knock-up' a lightweight
proxy - similar in form to the FilterProxy link that Vladislav
sent out, but using pthreads/zlib directly to do 'content-encoding'
[I don't think FilterProxy could handle 2000 simultaneous conns ;) ]
 ie. I would have:

apache->squid-cache->compressionproxy->squid-delaypool->->browser

Reason being the apache server is too stacked to do the mod_gzip
work, and we'd really like the squid farm to do it - most likely
before it hits the delaypool (which has to be in a non-cacheing
squid as delaypools won't shape cached data) [ or would it make
more sense to cache the content-encoded file??, ie. put the
compressionproxy before the first squid-cache]

We have something similar already (apparently) with
apache->aolserver_farm->cacheflow->->->browser

any thoughts?

Mike