Re: [squid-users] Question on 2.4S2 change re optimization

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 06:18:23 -0600

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001, Steve Snyder wrote:
> Reading the ChangeLog for version 2.4STABLE2, I see this note:
>
> - Expanded configure's GCC opimization disabling check to
> include GCC 2.95.3
>
> Can any of the Squid developers explain which optimizations cause problems
> and whether the problems are only in gcc v2.95.x? My reason for asking is
> that I'm running Squid on a RedHat v7.1 box, using their, ahem, unique
> version of the gcc compiler. Given this compiler, are there any compiler
> optimization(s) in particular that I should avoid using?

In one of the internal DNS routines GCC with -O2 would generate
invalid code (it'd xor a variable with itself causing it to become
NULL). This was easily reproducable under FreeBSD and I do remember
some issues under Solaris as well.

RedHat's "unique" compiler should fare better - the reason they used
it was to get some new features and bugfixes that didn't exist
int he "stable" version of GCC.

But, as most of my servers are now packed away for shipping,
I can't tell you whether it'll definitely work. :P-)

Adrian