Re: [squid-users] log_fqdn woes :(

From: benl <benl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:55:56 +1000

Let me take problem one step further.

It looks as if squid looks up the ip address of www.foo.com and uses the
ipaddress in the http request rather than the domain name www.foo.com.

This is okay for most site but there are sites that share ipaddresses.
Here's a real life example

nslookup www.guampdn.com
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: vh80085.vh8.infi.net
Address: 209.97.57.152
Aliases: www.guampdn.com

If you go to www.guampdn.com you get their page. But if you go to their
ipaddress 209.97.57.152, you get an Error 404 Not found.

The webserver looks at the http headers to figure out what domain you are
trying to access and serves the appropriate webpages.

I notice that when I switched to STABLE2, domain names where not showing up
in the access.log, I set log_fqdn to on and I still saw ip addresses only. +
our clients couldn't access certain sites. When I switched back to STABLE1
the domains showed up in the logs and the sites that didn't work then
STABLE2 was up, worked.

So by deduction, I concluded that 2.4.STABLE2 is using ip address in the
http request, so sites like www.guampdn.com will not work.

I'm pretty sure you can repeat this error by using 2.4.STABLE2 and try to
access www.guampdn.com.

My server specs was:
Linux 7.0
Squid 2.4.STABLE2

But I'm back to STABLE1 now. I have other problems with STABLE1 but I'm
hoping that STABLE2 will fix them.

Ben