[squid-users] Tweaking Squid for speed, not max requests

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:01:28 -0500

There have been several threads on this list recently discussing the
tweaking that is required for improving max requests/second in Squid. How
about raw performance?

I administer a small LAN, running Squid v2.4S2 on a Linux (RedHat v7.1 /w
v2.4.9 kernel) box. The limited number of users I support will never choke
Squid with too many requests/second. That being the case, my emphasis is
on performance, even at the expense of max requests.

I've already done the obvious: sufficient RAM, dual P3 CPUs, fast (single)
SCSI disk, and ReiserFS ("noatime,notail") filesystem. All my NICs are
100Mbps, running at full-duplex. I've configured Squid to use async-io.
I'm using the default LRU replacement algorithm because I found that LFUDA
didn't really provide any overall benefit (in Squid v2.3S4).

Many of the tweaks recommended seem to involve modifying operating system
defaults (increasing max file descriptors, number of open ports, etc.).
Are there similar parameters that can/should be tweaked for maximizing
throughput from the cache to the users' machines?

Thanks.