Re: [squid-users] Tweaking Squid for speed, not max requests

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:24:59 -0400

On Thursday 30 August 2001 10:01 am, Steve Snyder wrote:
> There have been several threads on this list recently discussing the
> tweaking that is required for improving max requests/second in Squid.
> How about raw performance?
>
> I've already done the obvious: sufficient RAM, dual P3 CPUs, fast
> (single) SCSI disk, and ReiserFS ("noatime,notail") filesystem. All my
> NICs are 100Mbps, running at full-duplex. I've configured Squid to use
> async-io. I'm using the default LRU replacement algorithm because I
> found that LFUDA didn't really provide any overall benefit (in Squid
> v2.3S4).

Going for raw speed, I'd probably load the box with memory and run the
cache_dir on tmpfs (a dynamically sized RAM disk). Since 'disk' reads
would be instant, ufs would be the best choice. Of course, like you
mentioned in another branch, that doesn't leave the other CPU with much to
do. Maybe you could lock the NIC's interrupt to the second processor.

        -- Brian