[squid-users] Authentication & Logging

From: Luke Sheaves <lsheaves@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:48:21 +1000

All,

I have noted from looking through the archives that squid can
authenticate against a Windows NT domain, and it seems simple enough to
implement, however there is a question for which I cannot find a firm
answer, namely I would like to be able to report on where each of the
users have been, how much overall traffic they have generated etc.

The FAQ seems to suggest that this can only be achieved by IDENT
lookups, but some people historically on the list have suggested
otherwise...in that the username that is used to authenticate is stored
in the access.log file for each URL.

If anyone out there has any practical experience doing this, and can
give me some feedback on how successful this is and also what tools they
have found worthwhile to do the analysis.

I am using a FreeBSD 4.3 box with Squid 2.4/Stable2...

Thanks,

Luke