Re: [squid-users] Patch to squid-2.4

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 04 Sep 2001 21:55:12 +1000

On Tue, 2001-09-04 at 21:48, Marcos Castro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago, I sent a patch to make it possible for squid to display on
> the error page any message being returned by an external authenticator in
> case of authentication failure and it was, at the time, patched, with some
> changes, to squid-2.3, as explained below by Duane Wessels. In spite of
> being said that the patch had been commited to squid HEAD branch, I did not
> see it in squid-2.4...

I believe its in there, in modified form. Certainly the capability to
send messages from the authentication code to the error page exists.

> Has it really been added to squid-2.4.* ?
> If not, are there plans to have it added to squid-2.4*? When? Will it be
> available in every new release from now on?

2.5 has a rewritten set of authentication code. That capability exists
there as well, but few messages are generated. For the basic auth
scheme, text after the OK or ERR is still ignored IIRC. The NTLM scheme
doesn't send messages back (it can though), and for the digest scheme,
the authentication helper doesn't actually test the user credentials, so
the helper can't really produce text to send back, although the digest
scheme can certainly do so.

Rob